For hardware, I have a 15" MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.6.8 and a 3rd gen iPod Touch running iOS 5.1.1.
- Claris Homepage by Claris
- PageSpinner by Optima System
- Dreamweaver by Adobe (previously Macromedia)
- RapidWeaver by Realmac Software
For the lecture podcasts, I use Camtasia to capture and audio annotate my lectures which were created using Microsoft Office 2011 PowerPoint. Camtasia is wonderful and very easy to use. The Mac version doesn’t do speech-to-text like the Windows version for captioning so it’s time consuming but the process is easy to do. After I’ve captioned a podcast, I export it as a text file in the SubRip format and then use Subler to package it into the M4V container. Camtasia will create both the M4V video file and an MP4 video file that can be viewed with Flash. Finally, I use VLC media player to convert the M4V video file to the Ogg Theora format that can be viewed in browsers that support both HTML5 and the Ogg formats.
Not all of the podcasts have a Flash option because I originally used a program other than Camtasia. I am slowly rerecording those older podcasts.
Additional software I find useful:
- FileZilla for FTP access.
- VMware Fusion so I can run Windows virtually on my Mac.
- MathType by Design Science
- TextWrangler by Bare Bones Software